Sunday, August 14, 2011

To Blog or Not to Blog?

So, back to blogging.  It is a love hate relationship.  See, facebook really is not a great place to blog about stuff.  I know my friends love my art work, and the daily abstracts were something of a small hit, but still, I feel like I am terrorizing my friends with my daily artistic adventures.  And Twitter, well, it is great to let people know, but it really about connecting with friends.  So, this seems at this moment to be the best choice, because I really do not want to maintain a website yet on a daily basis.
Over the weekend I completed nearly all of the photographic plates for the book I have been working on.  This has been the largest artistic project I have ever taken on personally.  In the past I have done photographic portfolios and produced shows, but that is very different than 15 illustrations to a book for children.

The steps involved with producing an illustrated picture book make the days of printing and framing photographs seem really simple.

But the story behind this book did not start five months ago.  It did not even start a year ago when I completed this painting below, which inspired the Lord of the Scribes story in the first place.
This painting was just one of my design class projects at POP art.  I took the Iphone, a device that has completely changed our culture, and brought it to Ancient Egypt.  It is amusing to fantasize about how the ancient ones would consider something we take for granted everyday as a magical box from the gods.  If your are interested in seeing how it was developed, I believe it is posted still below from last year.

Actually, the story began three years ago and only now feels like the journey is coming to completion.   My good friend and teacher Tesia Blackburn of the Golden Paints working artist program has been there the entire way, guiding my way through studies, experiments and adventures.  

Next entry I will start at the beginning of this journey and tell the full circle story of this adventure in art that I have so enjoyed.

2 comments:

  1. It has been a real pleasure to witness this journey, Dave. You are an amazing artist and you have such discipline!!!! I can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great David I wish you every success..

    ReplyDelete