Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Iphone and the Gods

Here is the process I took to get to this image.  It is a relatively small study, and not as "clean" as I would like to see in a final production.

First, I laid down a layer of copper and gold leaf, applied a drawing ground, and then proceeded to apply  the writings. 
This is my base layer. 


Here is the end result of that first process that took about 3 hrs of work, using a bamboo pen, and black ink. 


I applied two layers of transparent glazes.  One layer was a transparent gold, and the second was a turquoise blue.  


I sketched in the drawing, started to apply layers of paint, slowly.  As you can tell the Iphone at first was transparent.  I kept the man worshiping or honoring the Iphone transparent as a way of subtle contrast of importance.  I am saying that the Iphone is actually more real that the man to the left. 


Here is the final version of the study.  I used zinc white, but heavy, applied on the man to give more contrast, but tried to keep him just transparent enough to allow the writings on the base layer to still be seen in the image. 

 
And this is a small study.  The image size is 16x20, and the first time I have used canvas to create on of these gold leaf paintings.  A larger study, or final piece would allow far more detail.  

No comments:

Post a Comment