Sunday, August 8, 2010

Abstracting the Horse

Back from a great weekend away at Richard Carters Ranch near Angwin, CA.  I have been going there each year since 2007.  This year I took someone new in my life named Sean.  Richard Carter is a ceramic arts guy who does some amazing stuff.

I got sometime for drawing this weekend.  I have been abstracting the horse and inserting more cubism designs.
Instead of just drawing a horse, I have drawn a horse with several various poses combined into one form.  



As you can tell, in this image I start to add almost the feeling of a carnival freak show into it with these diamond shaped patterns, along with the other marks that unifies the piece.  

At this stage of my development in drawing, I have been combining several elements and skills into a single drawing.  I am using my ability to render an object's form in space, I have been combining forms to create a unique abstraction of the form, and I am using cubism as another design element.  I have a strong feeling that these studies will be very important in the future when I go to execute a large painting or print.  

Enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment