Monday, August 9, 2010

Not one more thing!!!

I have been preparing this board for a few days.  The original drawing that I had done did not turn out well, so I just kept piling on more acrylic glazes with tints of pigment.  You can still see parts of the original drawing, but now I have made a new drawing on top of all the layers.  I just had to stop because I was afraid that one more mark, and I was going to screw this one up too.
I am really pleased with this test painting, and the potential this entire abstraction of the horse study has in the future. 


Underneath everything here is a layer of copper leaf.  I have about 7 layers of glazes on top of that base layer. 



I chose to not add into this study much of the cubism detail that I had in the original drawing because I felt that it detracted from the sense of space and form of the horses contour lines contrasted to the overall surface environment.  I really now believe this is time well spent because this study has enabled me to see the potential for much larger versions of this work.  


No comments:

Post a Comment